Tuesday, June 27, 2006

new orleans crawl

I am back from ALA and New Orleans . . . here is a brief picture diary:

When Marfie and I were conference roomates at ALA, we'd workout in the early morning and then hit Cafe Du Monde for iced coffee and beignets . . .

Marfie stayed home this ALA so I slept in (lazy daisy) and hit the poor man's version - at the Riverwalk. Not as good without Marfie but still, pretty good. I think there was a whole pound of powdered sugar in my bag.
My committee (Notable Children's Books) in action. Someone came into the room and stole our chocolate covered espresso beans and after ten hours of discussion and debate over our boks, I could have used them!

I sat with Russell Freedman - THE - greatest nonfiction writer for children alive today (I truly don't exagerate - he is the best!). I was too shy to ask for a picture but I captured our seating cards together. This is actually the second banquet I've gotten to sit next to him -0ut of total good fortune.

My boss presided over the entire evening (and conference) and looked absolutely stunning that night.

And finally, on my way home, I looked up from my table to see Lester Holt from the Today show sitting at the next table. As it is my lifelong dream to get to cover the Thanksgiving morning airport traffic report for the Today show, I was thrilled and called Marfie right away to whisper my big sighting - I have a covert picture but am having trouble loading it - maybe tomorrow.

I am so happy to be home. Jonesie is back for another work visit and even though it is awful hot . . . I am back with my boys!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh the beignets look amazing!! someday I'll head back with you and we'll stuff our faces with powder sugary goodness.
Did you slip Lester a business card? :)

while you were gone i discovered a new bakery for us to hit to sample the yummies.