Since this is the book I am reading right now and I actually have a little guy reader, I thought I'd give a plug to this very cool book and initiative. While the 90's was dominated in the literature gender wars by the phrase "girl power" - others started to notice that boys were being a bit left behind. As a librarian, finding books that engage and excite boys is always more of a challenge than for girls. It doesn't help that the majority of youth librarians are women and might not know exactly how to reach the young male reader. Here is a place to start. And check out author Jon Scieszka's cool site: http://www.guysread.com
Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Guys Read
Since this is the book I am reading right now and I actually have a little guy reader, I thought I'd give a plug to this very cool book and initiative. While the 90's was dominated in the literature gender wars by the phrase "girl power" - others started to notice that boys were being a bit left behind. As a librarian, finding books that engage and excite boys is always more of a challenge than for girls. It doesn't help that the majority of youth librarians are women and might not know exactly how to reach the young male reader. Here is a place to start. And check out author Jon Scieszka's cool site: http://www.guysread.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm not sure you'll see this, with the post being nearly a month old, but your mention of Guys Read caught my eye. I've been meaning to read the book -- the web site is terrific.
You're a librarian? I'm curious -- what do you think is the biggest problem with connecting boys to the books that would interest them?
Is it that they don't want to read? That they assume there aren't books that would appeal to them? That they don't know how to find out about books that would appeal to them? Or that they don't have the time or the opportunity to locate and read the books that they want?
Post a Comment