Monday, May 05, 2008

so excited!

Exciting news to report! On Friday I learned I was elected Chair of the 2010 John Newbery Award Committee. The award is given by Association for Library Services to Children (ALSC) and getting to be the chair of the committee that reads, reviews, debates and finally selects a winner and possibly honor books is a true career highlight. We'll get to do our reading and work in 2009 and make the announcement in January 2010. I was on the 2001 Newbery Committee that awarded Richard Peck the award for A Year Down Yonder and the 2002 Caldecott Committee that picked The Three Pigs by David Wiesner. Both experiences were so satisfying and joyous - I can't wait to meet the rest of my committee for 2010 and get to steer the boat so that we have a really good experience. I just love thinking about the book that is out there just waiting for us to read. Joy!

4 comments:

manya said...

Katie, that's wonderful and SO well deserved!

pick a good one! :-)

Anonymous said...

congrats Katie! Also, LOVED the pottery.
Dulsanna

The McAuleys said...

WHAT?!!!!!!???? That is so awesome. Wow. You'll be terrific!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to find out what wins! (Guess I'll have to, though).

Jbird said...

Way to go!
I'm so very proud of you. My Mom is too. She likes Newbery way more than the Caldecott Medal.