Saturday, December 20, 2008

the new granny

One of my first knitting teachers looked down on crochet. She would say, "knitters do not crochet," with a sneer - so I never explored it much. But then . . . . Garnet Hill came out with this scarf this year. I fell in love right away and knew somehow I could make it for myself.

Buying the yarn was easy. I got a lovely box of Knit Picks Palette in the mail earlier this week. Both Em and I keep playing with the skeins - jut tumbling them over and over together, imagining how the scarf will turn out.
Actually mastering scarf without a pattern is more of a challenge. I found a hexagon granny square that fits the bill though the first one I made is definitely too big. I bought a smaller hook last night and ready to try again. Garnet Hill, watch out.

4 comments:

marf said...

let me know when you have mastered this. which will be about three days knowing your fabu self.
i'm sure shipping from you is considerably cheaper than garnet hill

Anonymous said...

wow, that's beautiful. hey, did you know gail des grainges (sp?), a clerk/LA at GRH is a master crocheter. she teaches classes. and she's super nice, just mention that you know me. :) sarahn

Anonymous said...

wow...this is beautiful. It will be fun to see you pictured in it in 2009!

Shawn said...

Those of us who knit continental style naturally take to crocheting, K.! Don't listen to the knitting snobs - dig out your crochet needles and whip up some very rewarding & super-easy granny squares!