Sunday, October 30, 2005

we totally sound like people on tv

Growing up I had no idea that there was a Wisconsin accent. We talked the way people on tv talked, right? After moving away for a few years, I came home during an Olympic summer and heard a tv newscaster say to parents of a local Olympic swimmer, "Well ya must be super-proud." Hee hee! And then Fargo came out and everything blew up - I couldn't help but hear the accent everywhere. I thought everyone called their mom's sisters "ant" and of course there are two syllables in "bag". But I haven't lived in Wisconsin for eleven years and while I still say, "ya" instead of yes and "ya, for sure" comes out way too often, I was surprised to see these results:

Your Linguistic Profile:

80% General American English
15% Upper Midwestern
5% Yankee
0% Dixie
0% Midwestern



So now maybe I do sound the way people on tv sound. Not like there is any value in that either. E has his own preschool dialect. His beloved Boots the monkey is often fondly cradled and called, "Beooooots" and spooky is "pooky". I can't wait to see what his accent will come out as.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yah, for sure. Yah, for sure. So.

Anonymous said...

I'm 80% General & 10% Upper Midwestern. I'm pretty sure that 10% comes from Grinnell College, and that the 5% Dixie is thanks to a college chum from Little Rock. What a fun test! -Suz.