Last summer was truly the best of my life - the first summer I wasn't working since I was 15 - home with my sweet new baby - and no huge agenda of what I needed to do. Each day came and went in the loveliest rhythm. I've been thinking about last summer a lot as we start this summer - how can it compare? I am starting a new job July 1 as the School Age Services Manager at our library and getting ready to chair the Newbery Award next year - which is totally exciting - but now more than ever, I need to keep a clear delineation between home and work so I don't lose this very precious time with E and Em. Sometimes I look at my kids and think, "this is it . . . they adore us and want to spend time with us. It will end eventually." So I want to make the most of it and really focus my energy on the moment that I am in. BE with my family when we are together - no computer, no email, no cell phone. And then BE at work when I am there - really focusing on the exciting projects and people I get to work with.This is a long way of saying that I've decided to make summer 2008 an intentionally SUPER fun summer - packed with all of the awesome things Portland offers. I've got our calendars packed with things we want to do. Calling all pdx friends - if you see anything on the list below you want to try, call us - we'll make a date. And with intention, we'll make this a super fun summer!
Summer Fun list:
Movies in the Park - E will see E.T. for the first time outside in a beautiful Portland park
Concerts in the Park
Oregon Symphony in the Park
Itty Bitty Beach Party
Farmer's markets
Neighborhood block party
Eastmoreland 4th of July parade
Preschool morning at Oaks Park
Drive-in movie
Kruger's Farm concerts
Convert our garden shed into a playhouse
Go berry picking
Stay at Timberline Lodge
See Captain Bogg and Salty
Swim lessons
Central Library Summer Reading Block Party
Dive-in movies at the pool
Washington Park plays and dance exhibitions
Beavers baseball games
What are you doing this summer? Any can't-miss things I've left off the list?

2 comments:
don't forget sangria parties on your deck. count us in for that!
add hike to a waterfall in the gorge
CONGRATS on the promotion. You'll be fab--as always!
Post a Comment