Monday, January 07, 2008

night on the town

I didn't get a chance to blog about our AMAZING meal at Toro Bravo. When lots of cousins and our brother and soon-to-be sister-in-law were home for Christmas, we headed out to one of our favorite places that was also crowned Restaurant of the Year in 2007. It's very near where I work so I see the chef/owner all the time and always want to yell out, "I love your pork!" - but that could be misinterpreted, couldn't it?
There were eight of us and we had to wait two hours to be seated (no reservations allowed - damm!) but spent the time at Cafe Wonder next door nursing drinks and building up our appetite. And oh my, when we ate, we ate well. Since we were a big group, we ordered just about everything and multiple pictures of sangria to share. It was incredibly. We all agreed that everything we tried was out of this world. We had to order seconds on several. Here is what we picked off the menu. I encourage you to RUN RUN RUN to Toro Bravo as soon as you can. Portland has so many amazing restaurants but as Tall House, Double Cup and I are planning our next date night out, we are strongly leaning to just coming back here. It can't be beat! Food with stars meant we re-ordered because we had to have more.




Chorizo & Manchego with country bread


*Griddle Bacon Wrapped Dates with warm honey


Potatoes Bravas


*Salt Cod Fritters with aioli


*Dungeness Crab Cakes with spicy remoulade and greens


Sauteed Chanterelles on Griddled Bread


Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with bacon and sherry


Baked Polenta with roast red, peppers and onions


Drunken Pork with White Ban Salad


Squash Dumpling with Braised Lamb


*Chicken and Pork Croquettes with salsa verde and roja


*Seared Scallops with romensco


Smoked Pork on grilled bread with celery root salad


Meatball with tomato-almond sauce


1 comment:

Sara said...

Justin, Meg, Em, and I agreed that was the best meal we've had in ages. The best company as well. It was the perfect night on the town. Reminiscent of my pre-baby days. Delicious!